The Group has a well-established experience in the growth, characterization and processing of materials at the micro and nano-scale.
We develop new materials and processes for micro and nanostructures with applications in MEMS, NEMS and photonics for different application fields (biomedical, industrial, agri-food, environmental monitoring, energy, …).
The research activities are performed in collaboration with several Industrial Partners and Academic Laboratories.
Our facilities are located at the at the Department of Applied Science and Technology (DISAT) of Politecnico of Torino and at the Chilab - Materials and Microsystems Laboratory of Chivasso (TO).
In the labs located at DISAT, several high tech tools devoted to materials characterization and functionalization have been developed in terms of advanced microscopy and spectroscopy platforms.
The Chilab - Materials and Microsystems Laboratory was founded in 1999. It is managed by Politecnico di Torino through the DISAT and DET Departments with their integrated divisions committed to develop respectively materials and processes for micro and nano-technology together with related prototypes and applications of integrated microsystems with communication and data transfer protocols.
The activity of the Lab deals with the project and fabrication of silicon and polymer based microsystems, microsensors, Lab-On-a-Chip and nanostructures for sensing, photonics and energy, fundamental research in material science, processes for micro and nanotechnology, electronic systems, wireless sensor networks, technological transfer, education. The laboratories join both technological and fundamental competences for the study of materials, characterizations, processes and design of devices, circuits and systems for the fabrication of microsensors, MEMS and nanostructures.
In 2005 Chilab was charged of the coordination of the LATEMAR laboratory, a Centre of Excellence funded by MIUR (Italian Ministry for Education, University and Research) grants - FIRB 2003-2004 - for public/private structures involved in research fields characterized by strategic value. It is a diffused laboratory which merges and coordinates Centres of Excellence in the basic research related to the development of micro and nano-devices and sensors for genomics and post-genomics together with R&D centres of extremely qualified Companies.
A wide and diversified scientific and technological network has been established around the Labs in the last years, involving several Institutions, both public and private. Common effort is to establish a profitable convergence in the domain of micro and nanotechnologies and related widespread application fields. Through the Network complementary shared facilities and expertise are available. The other players belonging to the Partnership Network are:
- MICROLA OPTOELECTRONICS, a spin-off of Politecnico di Torino with expertise in the field of the customization of laser systems, laser-assisted processes and micromachining and electronic interfaces and automation.
- POLITRONICA, a spin-off of Politecnico di Torino specialised in the customization of Ink-Jet systems and the development of innovative inks for specific applications.
- The Institute of Materials for Electronics and Magnetism (IMEM) of the italian National Research Council (CNR) which in 2010 opened an operative site at the DISAT Department of Politecnico di Torino
- TRUSTECH, a private Company whose role is strategic for the Network, both because it has a complementary technological portfolio, but also because it embodies the natural industrial follow-up of the research and prototipization activities of the Network towards small-volume or pilot production.
- The Center for Space Human Robotics of the Italian Institute of Technology (CSHR-IIT@PoliTo), a private Foundation jointly established by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research and the Ministry of Economy and Finance to promote excellence in basic and applied research.
We are also involved in the "Nanofacility Piemonte Laboratory", located at INRIM (Istituto Nazionale di Ricerca Metrologica) and supported by "Compagnia di San Paolo". This facility is dedicated to nano-fabrication and characterization of materials and devices and it is shared by INRIM, PoliTo and UniTo.
How to Reach Us
The Group operates in two distinct locations: the metropolitan site of the Politecnico di Torino (DISAT Department) in Turin downtown, and the site at "Palazzo Einaudi" in Chivasso (Turin).
The downtown site is in Corso Duca degli Abruzzi 24, a strategically and convenient central location for those arriving in Turin by train from the Porta Nuova or Porta Susa railway stations, both about a 15 minute walk.
The Chilab - Materials and Microsystems Laboratory is located in Chivasso, a small town about 25Km far from Torino, in Palazzo Einaudi, Via Lungo Piazza d'Armi 6 (Tel. +39 011 9114899).
- If you arrive at Torino by plane, Chivasso is easily reachable from the airport by car or Taxi in about 20 minutes.
- If you arrive by car, exit the Torino-Milano highway (A4) in correspondence of Chivasso Ovest. Then direct to the center of the town following the signposts to Chivasso.
- If you arrive at Torino by train, you may take a local train to Chivasso. This should take about 15 minutes. The timetable can be easily retrieved at the web page www.trenitalia.com. Once you arrive at Chivasso railway station, you can reach the laboratory which is about 10 minutes walk far