PhD position in Applied Mathematics, within the joint graduate program of Politecnico di Torino and Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne, Australia.Please, contact Prof. Marcello Delitala and Prof. Federico Frascoli if interested in this position.
The title of the project is Improving the effectiveness of oncolytic virotherapy. Oncolytic virotherapy is a treatment approach that uses "ad hoc" viruses to preferentially infect and destroy tumour cells, while preserving healthy cells. In this project, the goal is to create mathematical and computational models that can improve understanding of the role of viral diffusivity, tumour clonal compositions and active immune suppression to formulate methods for better treatments.
The candidate is required to meet Swinburne’s English language requirement for international applicants and must provide evidence of one of the following:
- minimum IELTS overall band of 6.5 (Academic Module) with no individual band below 6.0 no longer than 24 months before submitting your application;
- a TOEFL iBT (internet-based) minimum score of 79 (with a reading band no less than 18 and writing band no less than 20) no longer than 24 months before submitting your application;
- a Pearson (PTE) 58 (no communicative skills less than 50) no longer than 24 months before submitting your application;
- successful completion of a total of 24 months (full time equivalent) of formal study where the language of instruction and assessment was English at AQF level 7 or above (or equivalent) at an approved university no longer than 60 months before submitting your application.
The candidate will be based in Melbourne, with the possibility of spending up to 18 months (consecutively or for different, separate periods) in Torino. The monthly stipend will be AU$2300. The maximum length of the scholarship is four years, with a full stipend available for 3.5 years.
Thesis allowance, relocation costs, travel grants and initial, temporary accommodation in Melbourne will also be provided. More details can be found at the SUPRA (Swinburne University Postgraduate Research Award) webpage.
The two principal supervisors for the project will be A/Prof. M. Delitala (Torino) and A/Prof. F. Frascoli (Swinburne). Please contact Prof. Delitala and Prof. Frascoli for more information on the actual project at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
To express their interest, candidates are required to submit the following documents:
- a short (max 2 pages) curriculum vitae, in English;
- a copy of the certificate of the English test that satisfies Swinburne’s English language requirement. If that is not available, an indication of when the candidate will sit the chosen language exam. Note that IELTS exam is offered by Politecnico’s CLA on a monthly basis (CLA website);
- an official transcript detailing the candidate’s University degree(s) and exams, in Italian or English;
- a statement of up to 200 words explaining why the candidate wants to apply for this PhD project, in English.
The dealine for applications is on the 20th March 2019 at 5 pm Italian time.