La Rinascita. L’opera di Bruno Morassutti a San Martino di Castrozza nell’alveo del suo tempo
The rebirth. The work of Bruno Morassutti in San Martino di Castrozza within the fold of his time
Architect, carries out his activity in the field of design ranging from exhibition and interior design to architecture and communication. He is a professor at the Politecnico di Milano, Naba, Politecnico di Torino.
Roberto De Biasi
Graduated from the Istituto Universitario di Architettura di Venezia - IUAV, supervisor prof. Bernardo Secchi. Since 2000, with Valentino Stella, he shares the De Biasi - Stella Architetti Studio in Belluno. The activity is focused on the themes of architectural design, equipment and realization of exhibitions and events.
Architect, PhD in Interior Architecture is associate professor in Industrial Design at the Design Department of the Politecnico di Milano. He studies, editing texts and articles, the figure and the work of Bruno Morassutti,
with whom he collaborated professionally. They are founding members of the cultural association Bruno Morassutti Project with Antonella Morassutti, Valentina Morassutti, Sebastiano Rech Morassutti, Nicola Agazzi, Gerolamo Ferrario, Paola Garbuglio. The Association was founded in 2018 with the aim of promoting the study and promotion of the figure and work of Bruno Morassutti.
The twin houses of San Martino di Castrozza constitute the beginning of an activity that led Bruno Morassutti to engage with the Alpine theme throughout his activity: at the beginning there were the two small, twin houses (1954-1957), then he moved on to a large family holiday home (1957-1958), both with Angelo Mangiarotti, and then he experimented with the “Fontanelle” in the 1960s. The traditional stylistic features in the houses of San Martino find a balance, a grace and an elegance that, over sixty years later, do not cease to convince. The restoration of San Martino is measured in a balanced relationship between empty and full, in continuity with the elements that characterize the alpine architecture and the wise use of the materials offered by the territory: wood and stone. The two buildings, identical but individually distinct, thanks to two simple movements of flanking and staggering, are characterized by a solid stone masonry that draws two L-shaped walls. The masonry, strongly anchored to the ground, is counterbalanced towards the valley by a large window in wood and glass that spreads over two levels and guarantees lighting and direct views of the surrounding landscape from the living area. The link with the rural architecture of the area is well summarized, in addition to the materials, by the typologically relevant elements including the traditional symmetrical pitched roof with the structural warp in fir trunks. The roof, detached from the perimeter walls, is supported by wooden columns and partitions, a refined compositional choice that generates an unusual glass surface.